Re: [Asrg] More clueless spam bounces

2003-03-29 06:22:50
In <p06000d36baab133c53bc(_at_)[192(_dot_)168(_dot_)1(_dot_)104]> Kee Hinckley
<nazgul(_at_)somewhere(_dot_)com> writes:

Sorry.  I don't buy it.  When you sign up for the list, you sign up
for conversations with people on the list.  Those conversations may be
on the list, off the list or (more likely) both.

No way!

Many popular mailing lists, and it wouldn't surprise me if that
includes this list, have spammers who sign up to collect email
addresses.  My consent to receive list traffic *DOES NOT* transfer to
consent to receiving email from anyone who happens to be on the list.
I certainly do not want to hear the kinds of "conversations" that
spammers would send my way.

                       Everyone else whose anti-spam solutions have
interfered with the operation of this list has managed to fix the
problem or leave.  If you're truly looking for solutions, please have
the courtesy of doing the same.

I agree that signing up on the list commits you to making sure you
don't interfere with the list (via spam filters or whatever).

I have spam filters that I run also.  Due to the discussions on this
mailing list, I have recently switch back to using DNSBLs at the MTA
level instead of the MUA level.  If someone sends me email that
originates from an open relay used by spammers, they will now likely
receive a bounce.  Before, they would likely have just received a high
score from SpamAssassin and been placed in a mail folder that I don't
check very carefully (or often).  I think generating a bounce on a
false positive is better than silently having the false positive be
overlooked.

If it really is the consensus of this list that I must turn off my
spam filtering or leave the list, please let me know.  I will
certainly be willing to leave the list.

-wayne