Re: [Asrg] More clueless spam bounces AND social contracts

2003-03-29 21:14:07
At 4:17 PM -0700 3/29/03, Vernon Schryver wrote:
 > Sorry.  I don't buy it.  When you sign up for the list, you sign up
 > for conversations with people on the list.  Those conversations may

NO!

Your reasoning would require removal of blocks against Cyberpromo and Alan
Ralsky's many domains should Spamford or Ralsky subscribe to this list.

Should they engage in the conversation of this list (as opposed to sending spam), then I would say "yes".

But if you would like an escape hatch--I have no problem with not replying to messages from people. And the sender can't tell the difference between not replying and dropping on the floor. So there's your out. Rude, yes. But not a slap in the face.

-----

In a desperate attempt to bring this conversation somewhat on topic. I will point out that this conversation is so emotional for precisely the same reason that discussions of spam are emotional. We are discussing social contracts. We have certain expectations about communication. These are based on our real life experiences, and our virtual life experiences. There are cultural differences as well. I seriously doubt that it's a coincidence that the people I've seen supporting my case are people whom I've seen on the net for the past twenty years. Our expectations are different.

Normally you only run into these types of social disagreements when you literally have cultural conflicts. We are in the unusual position of trying to patch a virtual culture. Think how you would feel if someone came in and gave you a new set of rules for when you should and shouldn't say hello to people on the street. Told you whether or not you were allowed to say thank you. Or put communications restrictions on people in the real world similar to the ones we are creating the virtual world. "Hello Mr. Smith. How are you..." "Sorry, if you want to talk to me, first you have to pay me ten cents."

Is it any wonder that this is an emotional process?
--
Kee Hinckley
http://www.puremessaging.com/        Junk-Free Email Filtering

everyone else's.