Re: [Asrg] More clueless spam bounces

2003-03-29 19:03:04
From: mathew <meta(_at_)pobox(_dot_)com>

The whole idea of putting someone in a spam filter and then continuing
to e-mail him is just silly. It's like kids in a playground shouting
insults and then sticking their fingers in their ears and saying "Nyaah
nyaah nyaah can't hear you!"

Did the other person send mail to the gentleman at Verisign?  I guessed
from context that the only private mail was from the Verisign employee
to the other person, probably consisting of additional, private copies
of the Verisign employee's public messages.  Is that guess wrong?

If that guess is right, wouldn't it be best for everyone to stop
sending those duplicate copies?

Sending extra private copies of one's words when one knows they are
unwelcome seems like the equivalent of trying to scream them over
"Nyaah nyaah nyaah can't hear you!" chanting, and so worse than the
chanting.  That seems particularly true in this mailing list where
consent to receive mail is a central issue.

For decades I've felt that extra, private copies of one's public words
suggest an unseemly belief that their importance that justifies heroic
efforts to ensure they are not lost.