Re: [Asrg] Anonymity

2003-03-29 17:36:36
On Sun, 30 Mar 2003 09:20:28 +1100
Troy Rollo <asrg(_at_)troy(_dot_)rollo(_dot_)name> wrote:
At 15:00 29/03/03 -0800, J C Lawrence wrote:
On Sun, 30 Mar 2003 08:30:10 +1100 Troy Rollo
<asrg(_at_)troy(_dot_)rollo(_dot_)name>
wrote:

But of course I also consider anything that sacrifices the
availability of anonymity in email to be a bad thing.

Please clarify.  Do you limit that to human identity, or both human
and network identity?

That would be human identity - network anonymity is (currently)
problematic except in reasonably controlled situations (like anonymous
relays, which can deal with the worst of the problems, but tend to be
inconvenient for casual use).

Gotcha.

Having said that, it may be that as things progress and it becomes
more common for the network identity to be capable of being associated
with the human identity, then this needs to be also capable of being
treated anonymously, or at least of limiting the externally visible
identity so that a person is identifiable only as somebody in a
reasonably large group.

Okay, so at what level do those anonymising methods need to be
implemented?  Should they be generic and wide spread, endemic to the
protocol stack as it were (and is now), or, like for instance the
current mixmaster setup, is it acceptable if there is a fairly limited
number of methods of anonymising mail, which requires some hoop jumping,
but if those hoops are jumped the mail is efficiently (and obviously)
anonymous?

My temptation is to make anonymous mail difficult but not impossible,
and in particular to explicitly limit the number of vectors by which
anonymous mail can enter the network while being recognised as,
"acceptable".  More simply I suspect it would be a Good Thing if we
removed (almost) all possibility of accidental/unintentional anonymous
mail, leaving the forms that are truly anonymous both deliberate and
limited.

--
J C Lawrence
claw(_at_)kanga(_dot_)nu               He lived as a devil, eh?