Re: [Asrg] email pull (was RE: Authentication )

2003-03-29 17:32:39
On Wednesday, Mar 26, 2003, at 21:16 US/Eastern, Kee Hinckley wrote:
At 8:54 PM -0500 3/26/03, mathew wrote:
This goes back to the suggestion from myself and others, earlier on.

Once you've moved the mailing list traffic to an RSS-like "pull" system, you take the next step, and move all e-mail traffic to it.

Now for someone to send you e-mail, they send you the bare URL of their RSS feed from them to you.

Pull is a great idea, and if we can persuade mailing list operators to offer it as a choice, that's great.

But it's not email. It doesn't have a number of the necessary attributes for person-to-person email.
- it requires a server that is up all the time

So does conventional e-mail. With current e-mail systems, I fail to get the mail if my messaging server (at my ISP) is down. With e-mail pull, I fail to get the mail if the sender's messaging server (at his ISP) is down. In addition, I won't get mail from people I don't know that I need to poll unless my messaging server at my ISP is up. A small tradeoff in reliability, but one I think I'd take to cut spam.

I mean, the web often requires that both my ISP and the appropriate web site have their servers operational when I want to read a web page. Yet people still use the web.

- it requires storing outgoing email for an indefinite amount of time

The current system requires storing incoming e-mail for an indefinite amount of time.

Both of these are the whole point of the system. The whole idea is to move the storage, uptime and network requirements to the sender's messaging server, so that it's easier to take action against abuse, and so that server operators suffer direct consequences if they fail to secure their systems.

- it completely the destroys the go-online, fetch, go-offline model

Not really. It just means that my mail client would go online, fetch my e-mail from a dozen different systems instead of just one, then disconnect.

mathew