Re: [Asrg] email pull (was RE: Authentication )

2003-03-26 23:04:09

On Wednesday, March 26, 2003, at 06:16  PM, Kee Hinckley wrote:
Pull is a great idea, and if we can persuade mailing list operators to offer it as a choice, that's great.

But it's not email.

No, but it solves THAT problem nicely. I better be careful, or I'll use the words "hammer" and "nails" soon. and it helps solve some of the e-mail problems, becaues the more you can take this kind of content out of the email stream, the easier it is to focus on other issues. Effectively, moving this stuff to RSS would whitelist it for us, which simplifies the problem we're trying to solve.

It doesn't have a number of the necessary attributes for person-to-person email.

not intended to. it's a one to many solution. but a lot of email IS one to many.

- it requires a server that is up all the time

not really. Good RSS readers will retry over time. It needs a server that's moderately well connect and moderately useful, but it'd work nicely over a dialup for personal stuff.

- it requires storing outgoing email for an indefinite amount of time

why? RSS generally doesn't do that. it stores the last "N".

- it completely the destroys the go-online, fetch, go-offline model
From a resource and operational standpoint it looks an awful lot like running a web server.

well, that's because you're running a web server.