[Asrg] email pull (was RE: Authentication )

2003-03-26 11:05:18
On Wed, 2003-03-26 at 09:12, Hallam-Baker, Phillip wrote:
Devising a mechanism that allows bills to be sent electronically
is worth doing for its own sake. People are likely to pay
more promptly and there is a much reduced hassle factor.
I would like to be able to link outlook to money or quicken
so that every time a bill arrives from an authenticated
and authorized source I get the relevant notification.

Certs and signatures are one way to authenticate; Richard Bliss came up
with another technique that doesn't have issues of key revocation and
recovery.  It does require something be built in to clients, which is a
serious drawback but might be feasible given enough time.

Q: Okay, what's the idea?
A: Add something RSS-like to email clients, where the client
occasionally (and infrequently) polls "subscribed" sites for new content
and drops any new content into the normal mail stream (so that you could
filter it into folders).

For example, suppose I want to subscribe to the Floss Recycling
newsletter.  The Floss Recycling Web site gives instructions on the
subscription address and when the newsletter comes out (e.g. "Mondays at
3 PM PST).  I set up my email client to poll every Monday at 4 AM and to
drop the newsletter into my FlossRecycling folder.

Q: Why don't you just go to the Floss Recycling web site every Tuesday
morning?