Re: [Asrg] email pull (was RE: Authentication )

2003-03-26 15:06:42
On Wed, 26 Mar 2003, Chuq Von Rospach wrote:

On Wednesday, March 26, 2003, at 10:29  AM, Matt Sergeant wrote:

Q: Okay, what's the idea?
A: Add something RSS-like to email clients, where the client
occasionally (and infrequently) polls "subscribed" sites for new
content

Hopefully Richard Bliss might not mind the credit for this idea going
elsewhere... http://www.newsgator.com/ (and that's probably not the
first implementation - just a very nice looking one).

It's not. Credit for RSS stuff probably circles back to Dave Winer,
among others.

Dave likes to *ahem* steal credit for RSS, but it was actually Netscape
who came up with RSS. But this is a digression. I meant the idea of using
RSS for email pull, not the credit for RSS itself. Not that this matters
one iota.

But the blogs have taken RSS onto their own, and a bunch
of folks are doing interesting things with RSS and that enables people
to do nice things with RSS aggregators. it's just starting to peek over
the horizon for most folks, but it's been building for a year or more.
Fascinating stuff.

4 years ;-) But yes, the applications of RSS are quite extensive.

I think it's an excellent idea, but not something we can force on list
sources. It's also worth noting that it's only for one-way
communication, so it doesn't help mailing lists.

Oh, sure it does. A bunch of us on the mailman dev lists hashed out
this stuff months ago, and one of us (out of the foxhole, Lawrence)
actually went an implemented a system that seems really pretty good.
With Mailman as your email core, and web archives (based around
MHonarc) and RSS, you have a nice distribution setup. He then grafted
TDMA onto the front end, effectively whitelisting all of his mail
lists. So on the return mail, you can either subscribe, or you can go
through a challenge/response to get your message posted.

Neat. Sounds a lot like the work I did on O'Reilly's WebBoard to add RSS
distribution back in 2000 (just in case anyone decides to patent this: I
still have the cvs archives). That meant you could get access to the
discussion groups via NNTP, email, Web browser, or some alternate
interface by pulling RSS files. Shame O'Reilly decided to close their
software division before we finished it ;-)

I'd very much like to see this mailman extension finished.

Matt.