Re: [Asrg] email pull (was RE: Authentication )

2003-03-26 11:36:08
On Wednesday, Mar 26, 2003, at 17:57 Europe/London, Kaitlin Duck Sherwood wrote:

On Wed, 2003-03-26 at 09:12, Hallam-Baker, Phillip wrote:
Devising a mechanism that allows bills to be sent electronically
is worth doing for its own sake. People are likely to pay
more promptly and there is a much reduced hassle factor.
I would like to be able to link outlook to money or quicken
so that every time a bill arrives from an authenticated
and authorized source I get the relevant notification.

Certs and signatures are one way to authenticate; Richard Bliss came up
with another technique that doesn't have issues of key revocation and
recovery.  It does require something be built in to clients, which is a
serious drawback but might be feasible given enough time.

Q: Okay, what's the idea?
A: Add something RSS-like to email clients, where the client
occasionally (and infrequently) polls "subscribed" sites for new content and drops any new content into the normal mail stream (so that you could
filter it into folders).

Hopefully Richard Bliss might not mind the credit for this idea going elsewhere... http://www.newsgator.com/ (and that's probably not the first implementation - just a very nice looking one).

I think it's an excellent idea, but not something we can force on list sources. It's also worth noting that it's only for one-way communication, so it doesn't help mailing lists. But I think it's still got a great deal of merit.

Matt.