Re: [Asrg] email pull (was RE: Authentication )

2003-03-27 00:57:20
On Wed, 26 Mar 2003 22:03:31 -0800
Chuq Von Rospach <chuqui(_at_)plaidworks(_dot_)com> wrote:

not really. Good RSS readers will retry over time. It needs a server
that's moderately well connect and moderately useful, but it'd work
nicely over a dialup for personal stuff.

Additionally now that we're inventing whole new transports and formats
there's also nothing to say that the RSS feed wouldn't be available via
BitTorrent or a distributed gnutella-like protocol, thus requiring very
little in the way of connectivity of the original server.  Heck, all we
have to do is add conversational supports and we have NNTP redux.

</cynic>

- it requires storing outgoing email for an indefinite amount of time

why? RSS generally doesn't do that. it stores the last "N".

ObNote: This assumes that the RSS feed is statically generated and not
the result of a (complex) query.  Neither need be true (and neither is
true in the case of systems I'm currently building).

- it completely the destroys the go-online, fetch, go-offline model
From a resource and operational standpoint it looks an awful lot like
running a web server.

well, that's because you're running a web server.

Gack!

</cynic dammit>

--
J C Lawrence
claw(_at_)kanga(_dot_)nu               He lived as a devil, eh?