Re: [Asrg] email pull (was RE: Authentication )

2003-03-27 07:49:36
At 10:03 PM -0800 3/26/03, Chuq Von Rospach wrote:
It doesn't have a number of the necessary attributes for person-to-person email.

not intended to. it's a one to many solution. but a lot of email IS one to many.

I don't disagree. However there have been a number of proposals made to this list that assumed it would be a drop-in replacement for all email.

- it requires a server that is up all the time

not really. Good RSS readers will retry over time. It needs a server that's moderately well connect and moderately useful, but it'd work nicely over a dialup for personal stuff.

Not for the average end-user. For someone who was conscious that they were running a service, and made an effort to be online a reasonable amount of the time, yes. We've had this discussion on a previous thread wrt a proposal to make email end-to-end instead of store and forward.

- it requires storing outgoing email for an indefinite amount of time

why? RSS generally doesn't do that. it stores the last "N".

True, but RSS also usually points at a web server that has the rest of the messages. Again--primarily an issue if you are trying to replace N to N, not so much for 1 to N.

- it completely the destroys the go-online, fetch, go-offline model
From a resource and operational standpoint it looks an awful lot like running a web server.

well, that's because you're running a web server.

Precisely. Again, primarily an issue only if you are trying to replace something other than a mailing list.
--
Kee Hinckley
http://www.puremessaging.com/        Junk-Free Email Filtering

everyone else's.