Re: [Asrg] email pull (was RE: Authentication )

2003-03-29 23:54:40
On Saturday, March 29, 2003, at 04:27  PM, mathew wrote:

With e-mail pull, I fail to get the mail if the sender's messaging server (at his ISP) is down.

Or if the network between us is down, or if the server is overloaded because someone who didn't know any better something to everyone in his address book 100 times.

If someone forwards the mail, who's server is responsible for it? What server (if any) keeps the message for future reference? What if it's a person who never deletes his e-mail? Or reads it 1000 times (DOS attack?). How long does a server have to keep a message to be read? What if the message is forwarded? what if the person posts a URL to access it to slashdot?

How does e-mail pull work in large environments where you have round robins, load forwarders, and large strings of MX relays today? How about through firewalls?

I hate to say it, but email pull seems like a bad idea with a lot of complexity for questionable improvement. It might make more sense if it could be stored until I tell my server to go and get it from your server, but even then, how does that scale?