Re: [Asrg] email pull (was RE: Authentication )

2003-03-31 21:12:37

On Monday, March 31, 2003, at 07:22  PM, mathew wrote:

OK, now we're getting into nit-picking details.

Or if the network between us is down, or if the server is overloaded because someone who didn't know any better something to everyone in his address book 100 times.

If the network between us goes down, then the mail doesn't get delivered until the network goes up again. Just like if the network between the sender's SMTP server and my mail server goes down with the present system, the mail doesn't get delivered.

But now, with MX records, when a connection comes up, the servers coordinate delivery. As I understand it, the system you're proposing is doing it at the client level, so updates only happen when the user is asking for them. For an unstable connection, that reduces the likelihood of successful delivery significantly.

If an idiot sends something 100x to everyone in his address book, that's unsolicited bulk e-mail, so the fact that I don't receive it is a feature.

but it still causes network and server prolems, so dealing with the side effects is necessary. Systems can't assume perfect conditions.

 What server (if any) keeps the message for future reference?

What server (if any) keeps my e-mail for future reference now? None, that I know of.

anyone currently on an IMAP server, or on POP with "leave on server" turned on. So, would a user require to pull it and copy it to "my" server, or does it stay on that server, like it would on a USENET or IMAP server? 0

 What if it's a person who never deletes his e-mail?

Then his hard disk fills up.

not if the email he's never deleting lives on your server, because that's where it was accepted from and still stored.

 Or reads it 1000 times (DOS attack?).

Yes, if he has a broken mail client that doesn't download and cache the mail, he might fetch it lots of times. Just like a broken web client might fetch the same image every time it's included on any web page on your site.

okay, so you're seeing this as some client-driven version of a suck feed. you could make it work, but it's not how I'd do it. You're better off layering on what we already have, using some variation of the ETRN command -- but then you still have to have some way to tell the other side there's mail waiting to receive. so aren't we simply setting up a system to send email to tell someone there's email being sent?