Re: [Asrg] Fwd: Returned mail: see transcript for details

2003-03-31 21:12:30
From: "Alan DeKok" <aland(_at_)freeradius(_dot_)org>

  As an absolute number, false positive should be easy to define.  "I
went through my 'spam' folder, and I decided that 3 messages should
not have been put there."

True, but such absolute numbers in isolation are merely boring noise.
Whether the number is 3 or 1,000,000 (eg. recently from AOL), it is
meaningless without some clue about the number of other messages.

  As a ratio or percentage, false positives are taken relative to the
desired signal, not to the total data, or to the noise.  ...

  The ratio of false positives = FP / MAIL
  The ratio o false negatives  = FN / MAIL

So say you and I, but not everyone else.  There is no canon that
sanctifies any particular definition of a "spam ratio," at least
not yet.