RE: [Asrg] More clueless spam bounces

2003-03-29 20:08:29

Did the other person send mail to the gentleman at Verisign?

Yes, he did, on five occasions at the last count. Mail sent
to pbaker(_at_)verisign(_dot_)com is treated very differently by my mail
processing here to mail sent to the list. A mail sent to the
list will only show up on my exchange account, a mail sent to
my personal email will go to my Rim pager.

I guessed
from context that the only private mail was from the Verisign employee
to the other person, probably consisting of additional, private copies
of the Verisign employee's public messages.  Is that guess wrong?

Actually I was sending an off list comment about their lobbying
work, looking to see if coordination might be possible. But at
this stage I have come to a conclusion about Troy's organization.

If that guess is right, wouldn't it be best for everyone to stop
sending those duplicate copies?

Actually that is another issue, which I mentioned under 'lets
fix mailing lists'. The problem as I see it is that there should be
three options for mailing list messages, reply to the original
author, reply to the list and reply to all.

The ad-hoc mailing lists that accumulate through mailing list
reply-to start to get very annoying.

This is something that can be addressed through a BCP draft.

For decades I've felt that extra, private copies of one's public words
suggest an unseemly belief that their importance that justifies heroic
efforts to ensure they are not lost.

Sometimes it is useful to know that everyone will get the reply,
for example some people may be CC'd who are not on the list.
This can lead to a whole series of sticky problems, how to fix that
one without revealing whether someone is on the list or creating
a relay?

                Phill