Re: [Asrg] More clueless spam bounces

2003-03-29 08:50:41
At 9:47 PM +1100 3/29/03, Troy Rollo wrote:
At 04:20 29/03/03 -0500, Kee Hinckley wrote:
Sorry. I don't buy it. When you sign up for the list, you sign up for conversations with people on the list.

This is manifestly false. You sign up for list traffic. There is nothing whatever to require you to accept mail from any particular individual on the list.

I'm sorry that you don't understand the social assumptions implicit in human conversation. However that does not excuse your anti-social behavior. I assume that if we were at a meeting, you would only talk to him while sitting at the table, but spit in his face if he tried to talk with you in the hallway?

I don't suppose it ever occurred to you that some people on this list might be here because they want to ensure that their companies *don't* spam?

I consider employment with Verisign fundamentally incompatible with honestly seeking a solution to spam in any event, since Verisign's spam problem, like

Thank you for clarifying what I already believed. You aren't interested in solving spam. You're interested in retribution.

Of all the companies currently involved in this, and the related JamSpam discussions, Verisign is by no means the worst. JamSpam is *hosted* by Topica. Take a lesson from South Africa, Northern Ireland, Nicaragua and a few other political hot spots. If you want to find a solution, you've got to put the past behind you.

Verisign is by no means my favorite company--even before they bought Network Solutions. Ask Phillip what the first message I sent him off-list said. (On second thought, don't ask him. Sorry, I forgot, you can't.) I wouldn't even say that Phillip is my favorite person on this list. But I'm not going to let either of those things get in the way of our finding solutions to spam. If you are, then I'd say you're betraying the trust of your organization.

Furthermore, he consistently pushes as "the only solution", something that would (if it were even a desirable approach or possible to implement) generate more revenue for his employer. How is this relevant? You suggested his motive for being here, but a motive-based analysis would suggest that his interest is not in stopping spam, but in generating revenue.

It would appear that your motive is "getting even." I'd consider the motive of earning money for Verisign--even if true--potentially far more compatible with the goals of this list than yours.

Since you obviously don't give a damn as to whether Phillip has anything worthwhile to say--being blinded by the twelve letters to the left of his at-sign. I suggest that in the future you restrict your messages to this list to ones that do *not* reply (directly or indirectly) to anything he posts to this list. I see that you have continued to send him email throughout this discussion (see the To: and Cc: headers). If nothing else, that's just plain rude. If there's one thing I despise more than spammers, it's spam fighters who lash out at people while hiding behind barriers so that they don't have to read the response. I know why the spammers do it, but you don't have an excuse. S fighters should know better; and they certainly should be held to higher standards. I'm sorry that you are so blind to the damage that you are doing to our cause.

And to anyone else still listening. I will attempt to make this my last on-list posting on this subject.
--
Kee Hinckley
http://www.puremessaging.com/        Junk-Free Email Filtering

everyone else's.