Re: [Asrg] Fwd: Returned mail: see transcript for details

2003-04-01 09:57:19
At 10:49 AM -0600 3/31/03, wayne wrote:
 > You skipped from "humans" to "senders of bulk advertising" very nicely
 there.

"Senders of bulk advertising" are humans also.

A limited subclass :-)

The bounce message from the block *was* a "I'm sorry, I don't want to
talk to you any more" message.  Ok, maybe it wasn't as polite as it
should be, but it is the same thing.

I can buy that.  But it's a little more than just a politeness issue.
1. lack of trust -- it says that you don't want to talk anymore, and you don't trust the respondent to honor that request 2. topic - it says that you not only don't want to talk any more about this topic, but that you don't think the correspondent will *ever* have anything you want to hear. That's the difference between saying, "I don't want to talk about this." and "I don't ever want to see you again."

Yes, UI issues of spam filter need much more attention paid to them.
In particular, bounce messages are often far more confrontational,
cryptic and impolite than they should be.

Yes.

One of the things that following this list has convinced me of is that
if you are going to block email, you should try very hard to make the
sender's MTA generate the bounce.  (You certainly shouldn't just

Yes.

I think a large part of the objections to challenge-response systems
can be eliminated by only generating a challenge if a reasonably good
spam filter detects it as probable spam.  Most personal emails would
make it through unchallenged.  In the case that a challenge is
generated, you can give specific reasons why sender's email looks like
spam.  Different types of challenges could be generated depending on
how spammy the email looks.

I agree, this is a good compromise. And again makes me think that someone should be coming up with a standard for extended bounce messages that can communicate those facts.
--
Kee Hinckley
http://www.messagefire.com/          Junk-Free Email Filtering

everyone else's.