Re: Opt-In (Was Re: [Asrg] Proposal for Opt-Out)

2003-04-04 14:43:58
At 1:56 PM -0500 4/4/03, Jeff Macdonald wrote:
On Sat, 2003-03-29 at 04:00, Kee Hinckley wrote:

 Also, as has been pointed out to me offlist.  Average users have
 serious problems with the whole email confirmation process.

Where is the data to support this claim? Would a special confirmation
header that a mail client can key off of help make this easier?

The data comes from people who run large mailing lists, who report large numbers of people unable to confirm their own subscriptions. I believe Chuq was one specific person who has mentioned this problem.

Builtin mail client support would definitely help.

 >   But
 given a URL you get a chance to hold their hand.

How is text that is on a web page any different then text in a email
message?

I just don't get it.

You've got a damned if you do, damned if you don't problem. If you spend enough time explaining the whole thing in email, the message is too long for them to read. If you don't, some people don't get it. A web interface (or mail client interface) allows you to do successive disclosure. First the specifics. Then the details for those who need it.
--
Kee Hinckley
http://www.messagefire.com/          Junk-Free Email Filtering

everyone else's.