Re: [Asrg] email pull (was RE: Authentication )

2003-04-04 16:46:17
On Friday, Apr 4, 2003, at 02:04 US/Eastern, Kee Hinckley wrote:
At 10:06 PM -0500 4/3/03, mathew wrote:
Umm, yes, and outside of the special case where you're sending e-mail across a corporate network, most e-mail today involves machines controlled by different entities separated by a large amount of internet under control of neither of them. So what is your point?

It's store and forward--so I don't see the network glitches. On a pull system I do.

OK, so you'd rather have mail silently fail to arrive, than know that there's an ongoing delivery problem. It didn't occur to me that that was what you were arguing for.

Someone (possibly you) already mentioned this as a problem, and I already pointed out how easy it is to do connection limiting. By IP would probably

That doesn't limit the polls. It just means that instead of aborting them with "no mail" I abort them with "come back later". And if they are well behaved, maybe they'll listen to when I tell them to come back.

And if they're not, you ban them. Again, these problems have already been encountered and solved on the web.

Which is a big problem why? It's not going to chew up your bandwidth, you can set retrieval timeouts as short as you want to limit your dialup session to, and the CPU and disk overhead of failing to make a connection is minimal. I'd make that payoff to get rid of most spam.
If you can't fetch it because the spammer has an overloaded server, which you admit he's sure to have, then you don't see it and it doesn't fill up your bandwidth.
But my client sits there, for days on end, attempting to get that email, because it doesn't know whether it's from a spammer or from a flakey ISP.

If you set your timeout to days, yes. And who would do that?

Anyone who didn't want to lose email?

Tell me, what's your POP3 or IMAP timeout set to? What's your HTTP timeout set to?

Didn't think so.

Wrong timeout.  We're talking about delivering email.

Right, and if your POP server is down or overloaded, your mail won't get delivered, unless your POP timeout is really really high.

The correct question is, "What's the default timeout currently for most email servers before they give up trying to send email." The typical answer is four days.

That's the limit on retries, not the connection timeout. If you think sendmail sits there with a connection waiting to open for four days, you're severely deluded.

Remember the context--you were complaining about your client having to keep your dialup session connected continuously for days at a time:

Which is a big problem why? It's not going to chew up your bandwidth, you can set retrieval timeouts as short as you want to limit your dialup session to, and the CPU and disk overhead of failing to make a connection is minimal. I'd make that payoff to get rid of most spam.
If you can't fetch it because the spammer has an overloaded server, which you admit he's sure to have, then you don't see it and it doesn't fill up your bandwidth.
But my client sits there, for days on end, attempting to get that email, because it doesn't know whether it's from a spammer or from a flakey ISP.

The retry limit doesn't mean your client sits online for days polling and polling non-stop. A smart client will use exponential backoff. Even a dumb client will only poll as often as your current e-mail client polls for POP or IMAP mail.

mathew