Re: [Asrg] email pull (was RE: Authentication )

2003-04-02 11:45:03

On Wednesday, April 2, 2003, at 10:19  AM, Kaitlin Duck Sherwood wrote:

I don't think email-pull is a silver bullet, but it is a handy lead
pellet.  Enough lead pellets will kill the beast just as well as a
single silver bullet.

if it's a rabbit, yes. If it's a badger, maybe. If it's a bear, it'll kick your butt and have you for dinner while you're reloading.

When I started this thread, I was *not* proposing that something
RSS-like be a *replacement* for SMTP delivery, but an *addition* to SMTP
delivery.

The idea would not be to poll everyone -- your grandmother, your niece,
your old college roommate -- every ten seconds, but to poll a limited
number of addresses infrequently.  I had in mind things like CNET
newsletters, affiliate programs, etc.

which is where a lot of this stuff is starting to move. If you can get some of this content out of the SMTP stream, it's effectively whitelisted, so we don't have to worry about blocking it any more, making our job on other stuff marginally easier.

It's not a way to solve the problem, but it's definitely a way to SIMPLIFY it. and we need a bunch of those, too.