Re: [Asrg] email pull (was RE: Authentication )

2003-04-03 15:15:13
At 6:21 PM -0500 4/2/03, mathew wrote:
I meant "server" as in physical machine, not "daemon" as in piece of software. And the point is, both systems are equally useless if the software or the machine is broken, and both recover as soon as the software or machine goes up again.

In your system the two machines are controlled by two different entities and separated by a large amount of internet under control of neither of them. That is inherently less reliable than two servers controlled by the same organization on their own network.

Yes. You've mentioned that and I've kind of ignored that. The thought of everyone polling their all of their regularly correspondents is incredibly scary. Currently incoming mail comes when it comes--very efficient. The

It's a tradeoff, like most technical decisions. The automatic polling frequency could be anything from every second to never. It's a detail to be

It's a tradeoff that the email "sender" has no control over. It is controlled by the receiver, who will of course set the polling frequency as high as they can, since the cost to *them* is low. You end up with the current volume problem in reverse. The recipients are abusing the potential senders.

One of the things that might decrease the cost to the receiver is putting a cost on the sender. That does *not* mean that what is wrong with the system is that the sender doesn't pay.

On the contrary, I think that that *is* one of the things that's wrong with the system. I think if the sender had to pay we'd see a lot less spam. After all, I get a lot less paper junk mail than I get e-mail spam.

I'm sure that if the sender had to pay we'd see a lot less spam. I'm also certain that if the sender had to do thirty back flips before each email message we'd see less spam. That doesn't mean that not requiring back flips is what's wrong with email. I'm not trying to be flip here :-), just to point out that I don't see where not charging the sender more than they already pay for bandwidth is an inherent problem. Charging could be a solution. But it's not the case that someone made a mistake by not requiring it initially.

But my client sits there, for days on end, attempting to get that email, because it doesn't know whether it's from a spammer or from a flakey ISP.

If you set your timeout to days, yes. And who would do that?

Anyone who didn't want to lose email?

It sits there tieing up resources, slowing down attempts to fetch other email....

What kind of resource load is an open idle TCP/IP connection on any remotely modern desktop computer?

One to each spammer machine, plus to each temporarily unavailable legitimate machine. It's not a problem if the spammers really do go away and the network connections really are reliable.
--
Kee Hinckley
http://www.messagefire.com/          Junk-Free Email Filtering

everyone else's.