Re: [Asrg] email pull (was RE: Authentication )

2003-04-02 11:21:05
On Sat, 2003-03-29 at 19:48, Kee Hinckley wrote:
At 7:27 PM -0500 3/29/03, mathew wrote:
But it's not email.  It doesn't have a number of the necessary
attributes for person-to-person email.

I don't think email-pull is a silver bullet, but it is a handy lead
pellet.  Enough lead pellets will kill the beast just as well as a
single silver bullet.

When I started this thread, I was *not* proposing that something
RSS-like be a *replacement* for SMTP delivery, but an *addition* to SMTP
delivery.

The idea would not be to poll everyone -- your grandmother, your niece,
your old college roommate -- every ten seconds, but to poll a limited
number of addresses infrequently.  I had in mind things like CNET
newsletters, affiliate programs, etc.