RE: [Asrg] email pull (was RE: Authentication )

2003-04-02 18:15:08
On Wed, Apr 02, 2003 at 10:44:15AM -0800, Chuq Von Rospach wrote

which is where a lot of this stuff is starting to move. If you can
get some of this content out of the SMTP stream, it's effectively
whitelisted, so we don't have to worry about blocking it any more,
making our job on other stuff marginally easier.

  This actually sounds very workable.  *AND YOU DON'T NEED A BRAND NEW
PROTOCOL* !!!  APOP or NNTP or webmail over SSL would all work just
fine.

NNTP would work OK up to a point. the problem here is that the protocol
and the clients are built on the assumption that there is one true Usenet
and getting them to recognize multiple servers is hard.

The other problem is guilt by association with Usenet.

RSS is actually getting a lot of use and has been arround for some time.
The problem is that it is defined in RDF rather than XML syntax.

                Phill