Re: [Asrg] whitelisting server and not users

2003-04-02 18:16:02
From: Markus Stumpf <maex-lists-spam-ietf-asrg(_at_)Space(_dot_)Net>

Why whould they start to care about their RR zones?

There are six reasons:
1) it helps them reduce spam
   a) it is one of the easiest systems they can get
   b) it is one of the cheapest systems they can get

Yes, but it only helps other people reduce spam.  Fixing your own
reverse zones does nothing for your own spam load, at least not
for the first few years.

2) there is a RFC that says they should

I doubt this is the right working group to produce an RFC that mandates
proper reverse zones.  This is the IRTF instead of the IETF.

Depending on how you read them, there are already RFCs that say
you should have good reverse zones, because they say how to do it.

3) It will reduce the costs of the abuse department, as 5000 braindead
   admins with misconfigured workstations can't cause too much trouble
   anymore and the complaints will become reports.

That's a tad theoretical, since it depends not only on good reverse
DNS but your new TXT RR.

4) there is now a reason to care

As I said before, there have always been reasons to care.  In
ancient days, FTP and other servers required matching forward and
reverse names.  There are currently plenty of SMTP servers that
enforce reverse DNS matching.  Then there is simple good hygene.

The arguments of the no RR fraction have always been "we don't do it
because it is of no use" and "besides that there is no RFC that says we
have to".
None of that will be true afterwards.

Maybe so, but you missed the most memorable reason I've been given.
That was "not having good reverse DNS names reduces spam."