Re: [Asrg] whitelisting server and not users

2003-04-02 12:25:25
On Wed, Apr 02, 2003 at 09:05:35PM +0200, Markus Stumpf wrote:
On Wed, Apr 02, 2003 at 07:34:34AM -0800, william(_at_)elan(_dot_)net wrote:
It does not because of multiple problems like breaking mailing lists and
forwarders and roaming users, only looking for enevelope from (while most
users see header from and it can still be forged, etc). Here are
links about this (and similar) proposal that I gathered so far:

Maybe I didn't make it clear in my first post in this thread, but sorry,
I can't
a) see the problems described above
b) see how the proposals in the list you provided do relate to my proposal

What I am proposing is:
    mail.space.net    IN      A       195.30.0.8
we will like other mailservers to accept mail from mail.space.net and
indicate that by adding
    8.0.30.195.in-addr.arpa   IN      TXT     "abuse(_at_)space(_dot_)net"

Personally, I'd go a step further.  Associate an MTA connection with a
domain name.  In other words, require rDNS and use the host name returned
to look up a TXT record.  Using your above example, you'd have this:

mail.space.net.                 IN      A       195.30.0.8
                                IN      TXT     "abuse(_at_)space(_dot_)net"
8.0.30.195.in-addr.arpa.        IN      PTR     mail.space.net.

For an MTA to be considered "valid" it must have both valid rDNS and a TXT RR.

My only concern is how to get this in widespread use, which would be required
before any severe penalty could be imposed on those that don't employ it.
--

Steven F. Siirila                       Office: Lind Hall, Room 130B
Internet Services                       E-mail: sfs(_at_)umn(_dot_)edu