Re: [Asrg] whitelisting server and not users

2003-04-02 14:05:39
On Wed, Apr 02, 2003 at 03:48:04PM -0500, Kee Hinckley wrote:
At 1:25 PM -0600 4/2/03, Steven F Siirila wrote:
Personally, I'd go a step further.  Associate an MTA connection with a
domain name.  In other words, require rDNS and use the host name returned
to look up a TXT record.  Using your above example, you'd have this:

Yes.  But that particular step breaks 30% of the email out there (at
least that's the number I've seen for email senders without proper
reverse DNS).  It may be high--but certainly no major ISP that has
attempted to block on rDNS has kept the block--and they weren't even
authenticating--just seeing if it was there.

It "breaks" it no more than adding just the TXT record itself in that both must
be configured by the DNS administrator in order to pass the "good MTA" test.

--
Kee Hinckley
http://www.messagefire.com/          Junk-Free Email Filtering

everyone else's.

--

Steven F. Siirila                       Office: Lind Hall, Room 130B
Internet Services                       E-mail: sfs(_at_)umn(_dot_)edu