Re: [Asrg] SMTP over SSL

2003-04-02 18:32:22
From: "Eric S. Imsand" <eimsandasrg(_at_)charter(_dot_)net>

I agree that what you're saying is certainly possible... if someone
making $500,000 /yr. goes on a crusade for half the day, then the
figures could be artificially inflated.

$200,000/year for salary, benefits and overhead rents at most
one mid-grade engineer.  That's about $1.60/minute.  It's easy to
spend a minute or two looking at one message and griping about it,
or poking around WHOIS records or other stuff.

That having been said, I respectfully disagree.  I have purposefully not
installed spam filters on the server I run, so that I can collect raw
data for some research that I will (someday) do.  I currently receive,
on average, about 50 pieces of spam mail a day, and it takes me about
1-2 minutes to clean it out.  If you assume that everyone in the company
I work for takes a similar amount of time (a reasonable assumption, I
believe), then I do not believe that the cost comes from people spending
time cleaning out there inboxes.

1-2 minutes for 50 spam is 1-2 seconds/spam.  I don't see how you can
do more than glance at subject lines.

I don't have the spam statistics sitting by my side, but if we assume
that each spam message takes 500 bytes - 1Kbyte, and each employee
receives 50 spams a day, that is between 25-50Kbytes of space eaten up
by spam, per day.  The company I work for employs 20 people, so that's
roughly 500 Kbytes - 1Mbyte per day devoted to spam storage.  Now, make
a couple of reasonable assumptions: first, assume that not everyone is
conscious about emptying their trash (I have seem employees let their
trash folders grow to be 50 Mbytes).  Second, assume that, instead of 20
people, this company employs 200 people.  Clearly, the numbers can get
quite big in a hurry.

I thought we were talking about the cost per message, not the cost
per company.  No matter how small the cost per spam, if you pick a big
enough company you can get a big total cost for all spam for the company.

Given your 1 KByte/message value, a $200 disk will hold about 50,000,000
spam forever.  I think 1 KBute is 5X too small, and you might want to
put mailboxes on disk systems that cost 100X the $200 of a 50 GByte
at the nearest retailer.  Still, that that's $20,000 to hold 10,000,000
spam forever or $0.002 or one fifth of a penny per spam.