Re: [Asrg] SMTP over SSL

2003-04-02 14:27:56
At 1:14 PM -0600 4/2/03, Eric S. Imsand wrote:
system, similar to SSL, is that the certificates can be revoked. Instead of asking networks to pay huge sums of money to other people, why not charge them

ISPs will not (for very legitimate legal reasons in the U.S.) accept anything that makes them liable for the action of their users. In order to be positive that 100,000 users couldn't lose their email access from the actions of one user, they would have to seriously lock down internet user. They'd have to install servers to block or monitor any outbound email port. They'd also have to do incoming blocking of port 80 to make sure that nobody had any open proxies or other things that could screw them up. Basically, they'd have to put an incredible amount of effort into stopping any illegitimate behavior on the part of their users. Currently they are incented to do that--but they aren't mandated. That means that they can way the cost/benefit and decide at what point it's okay to just close someone's account after a few hours rather than try and prevent the problem from occuring. That's a huge difference.
--
Kee Hinckley
http://www.messagefire.com/          Junk-Free Email Filtering

everyone else's.