Re: [Asrg] email pull (was RE: Authentication )

2003-04-02 14:38:05
From: Kaitlin Duck Sherwood <ducky(_at_)osafoundation(_dot_)org>

When I started this thread, I was *not* proposing that something
RSS-like be a *replacement* for SMTP delivery, but an *addition* to SMTP
delivery.

When it applies, it would be helpful to make that distinction very
clearly as well as early and often.  All of the alternates SMTP I've
seen proposed here have appeared to be intended to be one-stop-shopping
replacements for STMP that will cure spam and cancer and bring world
peace.

An idea that only intended to be a supplement for SMTP should be
evaluated differently than an SMTP replacement.  It's far easier to
believe a supplement could be deployed and used than any replacement
or addition that must be used be used by 400 million people before
it has any effect on spam.