Re: [Asrg] email pull (was RE: Authentication )

2003-04-03 20:06:44
On Thursday, Apr 3, 2003, at 16:43 US/Eastern, Kee Hinckley wrote:
At 6:21 PM -0500 4/2/03, mathew wrote:
I meant "server" as in physical machine, not "daemon" as in piece of software. And the point is, both systems are equally useless if the software or the machine is broken, and both recover as soon as the software or machine goes up again.

In your system the two machines are controlled by two different entities and separated by a large amount of internet under control of neither of them. That is inherently less reliable than two servers controlled by the same organization on their own network.

Umm, yes, and outside of the special case where you're sending e-mail across a corporate network, most e-mail today involves machines controlled by different entities separated by a large amount of internet under control of neither of them. So what is your point?

It's a tradeoff, like most technical decisions. The automatic polling frequency could be anything from every second to never. It's a detail to be

It's a tradeoff that the email "sender" has no control over.

Right. Just like right now, I have no control over when someone will receive this e-mail. They might poll never, or every five minutes.

It is controlled by the receiver, who will of course set the polling frequency as high as they can, since the cost to *them* is low.

Someone (possibly you) already mentioned this as a problem, and I already pointed out how easy it is to do connection limiting. By IP would probably work, and if you require pollers to pass a secret which you send them in the first "I have mail for you" message, you could limit by recipient too.

One of the things that might decrease the cost to the receiver is putting a cost on the sender. That does *not* mean that what is wrong with the system is that the sender doesn't pay.

On the contrary, I think that that *is* one of the things that's wrong with the system. I think if the sender had to pay we'd see a lot less spam. After all, I get a lot less paper junk mail than I get e-mail spam.

I'm sure that if the sender had to pay we'd see a lot less spam. I'm also certain that if the sender had to do thirty back flips before each email message we'd see less spam. That doesn't mean that not requiring back flips is what's wrong with email.

Well, many ISPs feel that the fact that the cost of spam is shifted to them rather than the sender *is* a big problem. Feel free to argue it out with them.

I'm not trying to be flip here :-), just to point out that I don't see where not charging the sender more than they already pay for bandwidth is an inherent problem.

Well, yes, if we could all be given infinite bandwidth and disk space for free, there'd be no need to make anyone pay the cost of anything. The problem is that in reality, we pay for bandwidth and disk space. Today, spam takes up more MB than my actual e-mail, and it's still growing. For the majority of people who are on dialup, getting 3MB of spam a day is a bandwidth problem.

Charging could be a solution. But it's not the case that someone made a mistake by not requiring it initially.

Oh, when SMTP was devised, it made perfect sense.

But my client sits there, for days on end, attempting to get that email, because it doesn't know whether it's from a spammer or from a flakey ISP.

If you set your timeout to days, yes. And who would do that?

Anyone who didn't want to lose email?

Tell me, what's your POP3 or IMAP timeout set to? What's your HTTP timeout set to?

Didn't think so.

mathew