Re: [Asrg] define spam

2003-04-03 20:09:15
On Thu, 3 Apr 2003 17:51:38 -0800
Phillip Hallam-Baker <Hallam-Baker> wrote:

When a spam sender uses my email address to send spam it is a forgery.

Vernon can fantasize as much as he likes about this 'never' happening
however it is very common.

Having just received in excess of 80,000 bounces at kanga.nu for spam
with a From: and Return-Path of claw(_at_)kanga(_dot_)nu, I can confirm that
this
indeed happens.  (Less amusing are the people on my lists who are
automatically unsubscribed by bounces from virus forgeries)

The fact that both the above can happen demonstrates protocol holes.

When a spam sender uses ANY address that they do not have a right to
use in that way it is a forgery.

Quite.

Vernon might also like to note that not all mail from the .nu TLD is
spam:

  recipients. This is a permanent error. The following address(es)
  failed:

    vjs(_at_)calcite(_dot_)rhyolite(_dot_)com
      SMTP error from remote mailer after end of data:
      host calcite.rhyolite.com [192.188.61.3]: 550 5.7.1 REJECT .nu spam:
      Sent to DCC

  ...deletia...