RE: [Asrg] define spam

2003-04-04 11:02:30
All;

There is a simple reason for trying to 'define spam' in the context of this
group.  It is not related to anything to be construed as a 'globally'
acceptable definition per se.  It is merely intended to be a tool for,
ostensibly, our use in evaluation of the proposals.  IMHO, we should focus on
such a solution for a definition.  It will not be worthwhile, I think, to
continue in debate on a less precise definition.  In some cases the definition
describes the 'scope' of a problem and uses that to develop a solution
(reduction of impact, scope, etc.), in others a precise term has been used to
identify a problem and formulate a solution to eradicate the defined object.

In this case we should try to define 'it' in one of those two ways so that the
effect of a proposed solution can be measured objectively by the group for
research purposes, and tested in interoperable implementations developed
(nominally) outside of the group (in the IETF) [RFC2014, BCP8].

On Friday, April 04, 2003 10:05 AM, Brad Spencer