Re: [Asrg] define spam

2003-04-06 08:35:17
From: "Jon Kyme" <jrk(_at_)merseymail(_dot_)com>

  - bulk mail is any set of 50 or more messages that are substantially
   identical as determined by a reasonable person.

Why 50? why not 100, 45, or (my personal favourite) "2 or more".

I'd go with 2.  Most of the thousands of operators of DCC clients seem
to like 20-50.  However, some contributors to this mailing list have
insisted that 500 is barely "bulk."

I actually think it is better to say bulk is "many" and leave it
ambiguous in the same way that "assault" is not spelled out in terms
of newton-meters.  No reasonable person (in the legal sense) needs
instruction to decide whether "many copies" of a message are involved.
However, too many contributors to anti-spam debates reject that notion.

A statement such as you propose doesn't *ban* per-sender-opt-out
spam, it just points out that the assumption of implicit consent won't
apply to it.

Exactly.
Contrary to commonly stated misunderstandings (including some in this
mailing list), the IETF and IRTF have no power or even standing to ban
or require any network behavior.  RFCs and BCPs only recommendations.
Unlike some other standards and with only a few exceptions, RFCs are
not laws.  (You might say the ancient publication of versions of some
RFCs as FIPS gave them the force of laws.)  Anyone or any group is always
free to do whatever they want with their own computers and networks.

I believe what you suggest is very much suitable matter for this
group - it's effectively a definition of "consent" - which we probably need
to work usefully within the charter.

This should be proposed to the chair as a work item.

yes.