RE: [Asrg] define spam

2003-04-03 20:06:17
From: "Hallam-Baker, Phillip" <pbaker(_at_)verisign(_dot_)com>

When a spam sender uses my email address to send spam
it is a forgery.

Of course.  For various reasons, I suspect my addresses have been
forged into spam far more often than the other person's.

Vernon can fantasize as much as he likes about this
'never' happening however it is very common.

That "never" is a knowing mistatement of my position.  True header
forgery is common measured in absolute numbers of spam, but I believe
less than 10% and probably less than 5% of all spam bearing sender
addresses other than the obvious sender or advertiser.

If only 1% of all spam involves what can be honestly called
forgery, then there are 10's of millions of forged spam per day.

My claim could easily be disproved.  For example, people at Hotmail
surely have an idea what fraction of the complaints they receive about
spam carrying hotmail.com addresses involve addresses that have never
been terminated for spamming.  An implication of my claim is that more
than 90% and perhaps more than 95% of the addresses about which Hotmail
receives complaints are recently created and valid or addresses that
have were valid but terminated for spam within the preceding 12 months.
If I'm right, Hotmail has seen plenty of truely forged spam in the
last 12 months, but far more that cannot honestly be called "forged."

When a spam sender uses ANY address that they do not
have a right to use in that way it is a forgery.

No one disagrees with that.

The disagreement concerns the existence of bazillions of people whose
free provider addresses are being forged into most spam every day.
I claim most of those people do not exist, unless you think using your
own address in spam is forgery.