RE: [Asrg] define spam

2003-04-03 16:50:58
At 06:23 PM 4/3/2003 -0500, you wrote:
On Thursday, April 03, 2003 4:49 PM, Brad Spencer
[SMTP:brad(_dot_)madison(_at_)mail(_dot_)tds(_dot_)net] wrote:
> These discussions (which mostly I've seen in NANAE) drive me nuts.  I get
> spam in my account, I know its spam.  More to the point I trap relay spam
> to thousands of people using a honeypot.  I don't need any definition to
> check on that: it's spam.  I'd be certifiably nuts if I fretted over what I
> trapped being spam or not.

But we need a definition to perform effective research into ways to mitigate
'it'. That is the reason for defining what 'it' is for the sake of all of this
groups efforts being focused on the same 'thing'.

Understood, but the effort ends up in the marginal areas while huge waves of what almost all would agree to be spam keep crashing through. I think it's safe to say, as a first approximation, that anything Ralsky sends is spam. Make that anything anyone sends through an unrelated 3rd party relay and it is still extremely likely to be true. Most people would have no ideas if my honeypot relayed or looked like it relayed and they wouldn't try to use it. Spammers are the only ones looking for relays so they can (ab)use them. If your fake relay has no real email function then all it captures is spam. I can understand the need for others (who use other methods) to have a definition but even there isn't there a chance that the definition exercise can get too precise and time-consuming? There's got to be a simple definition that, by volume, successfully identifies 99.9% of actual spam as spam. All the discussion is over that last 0.1% I'm not sure it's worth it - stop the 99.9% first and see if the 0.1% disappears all by itself.

If it's 98% and 2% I still feel the same way.