RE: [Asrg] define spam

2003-04-03 18:52:00
When a spam sender uses my email address to send spam
it is a forgery.

Vernon can fantasize as much as he likes about this
'never' happening however it is very common.

When a spam sender uses ANY address that they do not
have a right to use in that way it is a forgery.

                Phill

-----Original Message-----
From: Kee Hinckley [mailto:nazgul(_at_)somewhere(_dot_)com]
Sent: Thursday, April 03, 2003 8:12 PM
To: Vernon Schryver
Cc: asrg(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
Subject: Re: [Asrg] define spam

At 2:40 PM -0700 4/3/03, Vernon Schryver wrote:
 > Is it okay to forge a From to an email account that I
own, even if I
 know that it's going to be shut down for spamming as soon as those
 two million messages I just sent out start bouncing?

Is it forgery to use a return address of a hotel room that you know
you are going to vacate the day after tomorrow?

I assume not.  Which is my point.  It doesn't seem to me that
anti-forgery laws would have any significant impact on spam.  Whether
or not I agree with your assertion that most spammers don't forge
now--it's clear that forging addresses is not necessary.
--
Kee Hinckley
http://www.messagefire.com/          Junk-Free Email Filtering

I'm not sure which upsets me more: that people are so
unwilling to accept
responsibility for their own actions, or that they are so
eager to regulate
everyone else's.