Re: Relay honeypots (RE: [Asrg] define spam)

2003-04-06 05:43:27
At 02:22 PM 4/4/2003 -0500, you wrote:

Given that blacklisters range from those who block the IP, to those who block an entire range of IPs. And given that you are depending on blacklisters testing for delivery and not just existance. And given that the detection process has to be manual, and has to distinguish between blacklister tests and spammer tests. I don't think you are going to find a lot of people willing to set up honeypots of this type.

This is ASRG, of IETF. I take the "engineering" seriously. I'm a chemist, not an engineer, but I worked several years in an engineering group that designed a product - a scientific instrument. I have some concept of what engineering is. Sometimes engineers do a superficial analysis of the problem and then leap into implementation of a solution that appears useful, based on that analysis. Often the solution an engineer chooses is one that can be characterized as having complexity that is directly related to the types of things the engineer wants to do. That isn't necessarily good engineering. I'm as guilty as anyone: my first honeypot efforts arose from a quick analysis and were strongly influenced by my desires: I wanted to do as little as possible to achieve a solution. I put no effort at that time into analysis of the overall problem: I just wanted to make a system that I couldn't easily or cheaply secure the standard way stop relaying spam. Since I couldn't make it not accept the spam I chose to make it not deliver the spam. That worked, that led to a fuller understanding of the concept and of the overall problem. Most of the analysis I did was after implementation. It's still good analysis. It deserves attention.

The psychology you describe is interesting, may even be pertinent, but I ask that such considerations be removed from the engineering aspects while the value of a method is being considered. Honeypots, implemented properly, are 100% effective in stopping spam and 100% effective in avoiding collateral damage. They may succeed in identifying the IP a spammer is using (this now more likely happens with open proxy honeypots), which can allow notice to the spammer's ISP and possible termination of the spammer. In any case a full honeypot, in operation, may succeed in stopping significant amounts of spam. This is spam directed at others but it can be several orders of magnitude greater than the spam that would go to the operator of that honeypot, were it to have a published email address. Tremendously successful honeypots have been implemented using laughable equipment: 1 100 MHz 486 DX4, a 120 MHz Pentium. Email is an old application, ran on old systems. Honeypots are not computationally intensive - they can run on about anything that boots and has a network connection. If I could get Linux running on my old 16 MHz, 4 Mb 386 I have no doubt I could run a successful honeypot on it. On something that old I'd just run sendmail -bd. That system isn't important - the importance lies in the very low resource requirements for a honeypot. Just as significantly millions of Windows users can run Jackpot - they have no MTA, port 25 is not being used for any real application, their systems have no SMTP receiver function. The resource requirements are low, there are millions of potential systems for use, the software is small and easily downloaded - the honeypot approach deserves full attention.

For a huge portion of current spam open relays and open proxies are used. From an engineering standpoint it is useful (perhaps necessary) to know how spammers find and then abuse open resources. As it is close to the most trivial thing possible to detect the tests used by spammers it would seem that any serious effort at stopping spam would include a significant effort toward that detection. Just this morning I captured a relay test that looks different from any I've captured before. With two honeypots (home and "work") I'm not likely to see all forms of relay test. I think serious anti-spammers should know all the ways spammers use to detect open relays. In a sense there's only one: send a test message and see what happens, but there are differences in the test messages. Knowing more about those differences means you know more about the spammers. Quite possibly it could be seen that there were clusters of spammers - some who used one form of relay test, some who used another. This might help in learning more about which spammers are associated with other spammers. It might not, of course - some simply could be using the same purchased tool. Still, watching relay tests is watching spammers. That's worth doing.

So. If the psychology is ignored what is the value of honeypots? The value may only accrue to those who don't succumb to the psychology - what value is there to those brave souls who choose to run honeypots? If there were 10,000 of them would they make a big difference? 100? 1000? 10? The 100 MHz 486 DX4 crippled Ralsky's Dallas operation for a while - that was one honeypot. The situation may have been unique and may never occur again but the significance of that success needs to be appreciated. Is there any other way that a major spammer has been driven off 3 different ISPs in one weekend on the basis of the information gathered by a single computer? (By the way: the 486 DX4 had other tasks as well - the honeypot didn't consume or need all its resources.)