Re: [Asrg] I want spam gone by the end of the year.

2003-04-20 23:06:45
John,

JF> The message obviously isn't that important to you, and if it is important to
JF> them it is quite rude to let your dislike of C/R stand in the way of
JF> delivery.

You are enjoying some really strange logic, though it is of a type
that seems fashionable these days.

The idea that the C/R might itself be rude does not even cross your
mind. The idea that it introduces wasteful delays apparently has not
registered. The idea that increasing the baseline cost of all
communications, in order to deal with a problem caused by only a
portion, and thereby makes simple communications excessively expensive
apparently does not even compute.

Email serves a wide variety of purposes. It can be an alternative to a
number of very different communication modes, each with very different
etiquette and tolerating very different costs.

Perhaps you think it is reasonable to ask everyone you talk to to
first be authenticated by having blood drawn and tested for a DNA
match, but most of the world will disagree.

They will call it more than rude.

Mechanisms for dealing with spam need to be careful about their
side-effects as well as the utility of their direct effects.

d/
--
 Dave Crocker <mailto:dcrocker(_at_)brandenburg(_dot_)com>