Re: [Asrg] Hello- and my 2 cents

2003-04-22 09:30:33
At 2:18 AM -0700 4/22/03, Murali Krishna Devarakonda wrote:
I firmly believe that none of the anti-spam companies are out there with any serious desire to prevent spam, but simply to profit from the problem. Nothing wrong with that- that's the American way.

Nothing like starting out a discussion by calling a number of people on the list liars. But what the heck, I'll keep reading.

        - a potential sender must "request" "permission" to send to a receiver
        - the "request" and the "permission" **should not** be emails-
instead they should be a API-based feature of the protocol, like 'ping'
            % implications:
                $ since there would be *no message* included in the request,
                            there's no value in it for the spammer, and
                            there's no pain for the receiver.
$ the number of times a request can be made again should be configurable- never, once in a month or year, etc.

And who will enforce that?

But you missed the biggest implication. I have to be online in order to receive a request. Not only that, I have to be on the internet.

$ a global identity- the digital equivalent of a unique-SSN should be required for all email communication
- Politically infeasible
- Technically improbable
- Mind-boggling infrastructure requirements
- I assume you really didn't mean SSN. Mentioning SSN's in any discussion of "identity" is trolling for a flame war - So who is going to make sure that [pick-a-random-country] is going to hand out only one identity to anyone who gives them some money

--
Kee Hinckley
http://www.messagefire.com/          Junk-Free Email Filtering

everyone else's.