Re: [Asrg] (Off topic) How to defeat spam that uses encryption?

2003-04-22 09:55:24

On Tuesday, April 22, 2003, at 10:53  AM, Tom Thomson wrote:

That makes it pretty clear that the proposal supports the transport of
octets, (an 8-bit transport), not of bits (a binary transport). A binary transport would allow me to transmit 37 bits, or 125 bits, or 10725412973 bits or indeed any number of bits, not just a multiple of 8 bits. For an example of a binary transport mechanism look at the definition of the HDLC protocol (or IBM's SDLP, for that matter, if that's easier for you to find) which are designed explicitly to permit units of any number of bits to be
transferred.

I'll grant all of this, but I don't think it changes the answer in context; that is, even if you don't think it is appropriate to call it binary transport, I think it has the characteristics that I was ascribing to binary transport in terms of its (lack of) effect on the payload being transmitted. -- NB