RE: [Asrg] How to defeat spam that uses encryption?

2003-04-02 14:48:02
From: "Bob Atkinson" <bobatk(_at_)exchange(_dot_)microsoft(_dot_)com>

I think there is clear and convincing evidence that most spam carries
From values that are owned by the spam sender and that would be properly
authenticated by any authentication protocol usable by free mail providers
and sloppy ISPs during at least the start of a spew of spam.

Suffice it to say that this is far from a universally held perspective.
Indeed, data I myself have seen from datasets millions of messages in
size explicitly contradicts it.

I'd be happy to be proven wrong.  Do you have access to data from Hotmail?
From readily apparent facts outside Hotmail and inferences supported by
those facts, I've long believed that most of the Hotmail addresses in spam
are legitimately owned by spammers, but soon terminated by hotmail.
How many of the complaints that Hotmail receives about spam concern
addresses that were never valid or were clearly owned by someone other
than the spammer?

For a while, Hotmail was regularly announcing lists of addresses used
in spam and saying they were all "forged," including addresses that
were known to be owned by the spammer in question.