Re: [Asrg] NNTP IS Pull, deal with it

2003-04-26 23:57:27
Hallam-Baker, Phillip wrote:
Vernon,

        I implemented the NNTP protocols for my web browser. Don't try to
pull the authority crap.

Yes, Phillip, NNTP _client_ protocols are PULL.

But your browser is not doing NNTP server-to-server protocols like real servers do.

Server-to-server is PUSH. Please pay attention to the IHAVE/SENDME commands in RFC977.

In fact, from the PUSH/PULLish view, NNTP is _just_ like the usual ISP email setup:

server-to-server PUSH for both email (smtp) and news (nntp)
server-to-client PULL for both email (pop/imap) and news (nntp)