Re: [Asrg] A New Plan for No Spam / Velocity Indicator

2003-04-29 00:04:58
On Mon, Apr 28, 2003 at 07:16:43AM -0700, Hallam-Baker, Phillip wrote
I think you are missing my point

There is no prolem if the mail reaches the mua. The mua is well
placed to know what the user signed up for etc.

The problem that needs solution is how to stop the wanted mails being
blocked at the mta so that the mua gets the chance to decide.

The problem is that there are already plenty of isps who are simply
dropping all blacklisted mail in the bit bucket and responding to
complaints from users in BOFH mode.

  The problem is that many spammers-in-pinstripe-suits (ESPC, etc) use
human shields.  They'll take a mailing list that was requested by 10
end-users at an ISP, and email it to 100.  And they'll also send one
legitimate (true confirmed opt-in) mailing list as well as a dozen
thinly disguised spam mailing lists from the same IP address.  Lately,
they've been getting so damn greedy that they've crossed ISPs' pain
thresholds.  ISPs find it less painful to block somebody like Shagmail
or Topica and take flack from the 10% who want the stuff (and threaten
to quit if they don't get it) versus taking the screaming/yelling from
the 90% who don't want it (and threaten to quit if they keep getting it)

Having experienced plenty of BOFH I simply do not beleive any sysop who
claims his users are 100% in favor of what they do. I have yet to see a
sysop voluntarily ask users what they want.

  One size does not fit all.  I'm fortunate to have found an ISP that
has a hacked-up Qmail that can parse end-user rulesets for DNSbls and
CIDRs to block on.  For most ISPs that can't do this, blocking is all or
nothing, and affects every user identically.  The crying need right now
is...
  a) mass adoption of MTAs that can block based on individual user
     settings
  b) making the implementation of those settings simple enough for Aunt
     Ethel to be able to use it

--
Walter Dnes <waltdnes(_at_)waltdnes(_dot_)org>
Email users are divided into two classes;