Re: [Asrg] Changing mailing lists from push to pull

2003-04-30 21:35:10
At 10:58 PM 4/30/2003 -0400, you wrote:
  It should possible to set up a script to make a PC (Windows/Max/Linux)
poll a POP server once a day or once a week, etc.  Has anyone ever tried
writing up a script and simply throwing announcements on a central POP
server.  The subscribers' machine would poll the central POP server as
required.  This solves the permission problem, because the subscriber is
doing the pulling.  No changes required to SMTP, for the simple reason
that SMTP is totally bypassed.

Sounds like NNTP .... ;-)
Well sort of.  Without the message distribution stuff.

Personally, I'd love to see a "references" header become more standard so that mail readers could thread messages. It would also mean that a mail reader could "pull" mailing list threads. Finally, if it could be counted on, it would mean that there could be gateways between NNTP/WebBBS/Mailing Lists if one so desired as the threading mechanisms would be the same.

I use Eudora which strips these things out unfortunately.

-Art
--
Art Pollard
http://www.lextek.com/