RE: [Asrg] A New Plan for No Spam / Velocity Indicator

2003-05-01 03:54:33
Note that contrary that document, it generally makes no sense to talk
about valid BCC fields in incoming legitimate mail.  See page 37 of
RFC 2822.  I wouldn't be surprised if SpamAssassin treats a BCC
header as evidence of evil, because I can't recall ever seeing one
except in spam.  More important and also contrary to that document,
RFC 822 and RFC 2822 do *NOT* require that every incoming message name
the receipient in any SMTP header.  Most legitimate mailing list
messags are cases in point.

Phill's document already points out that mailing lists are an exception
which require exceptional treatment, so your "case in point" appears to be
vacuous padding to try to fool us into thinking your message has more
substance than it has.
As for the bcc case, I used to use an MUA which generated n+1 copies of the
body - 1 for each bcc recipient containing a bcc line with only that
recipient, and one for all To and cc recipient containing no bcc line. These
were transmitted separately - multiple Rcpt To lines with one Data phase for
teh To and cc recipients, single Rcpt lines with a data phase for each bcc
recipient. Since Phill is as much of an antique as I am, maybe he too
remembers MUAs which did rather pleasant and intelligent things that didn't
conform to the modern desire for "efficiency" at all costs (even at the cost
of effectiveness) and maybe that's where theerrorneous statement comes from.
An easy mistake to make if you grew up with civilised MUAs.

What discourages me most about this mailing list are self-described
expert statements such as "the RFC822 message standard requires every
message to have a valid To: CC: or BCC: field identifying the recipient,
making adjustment where necessary to account for messages relayed
through mailing lists."  There are obvious reasons why RFC 822 and
RFC 2822 do not require mailing list exploders to anything of the sort.

Heavy protestations of knowledg and expertise which are clearly false bother
me too, but I also know the story about the pot and the kettle.

Tom