Re: [Asrg] A New Plan for No Spam / Velocity Indicator

2003-05-01 11:39:56
At 10:08 AM 5/1/03 -0700, J C Lawrence wrote:
On Thu, 1 May 2003 07:26:18 -0600 (MDT)
Vernon Schryver <vjs(_at_)calcite(_dot_)rhyolite(_dot_)com> wrote:
Mailing list subscribers have always tended to be clustered on SMTP
servers, even before big ISPs like AOL.

The current distribution of target MXs is a lot different than the
picture 10 years ago.  For one, the total number of target MXes for the
same size list population is more than an order of magnitude higher
today.

What may be more interesting is that the distribution curve is now and
was then a pretty standard power curve.

I would like to add that Moore's law has been quite accurate in
the last 10 years, adding approximately 2 orders of magnitude to
our ability to process mail in the same period.

The user base is not now, nor has it ever expanded at the same rate
as the technology.  (if it had, then SF lovers digest would still be
clobbering us today.)

In other words, I don't think we should rule out proposals that require
greater network or computer time than was available 10 years ago.
Nor for that matter would a proposal that required more power than
we have /now/ be necessarily ruled out (at least, not by me)
since it's going to take a long time to get people to switch over.

Of course, increasing bandwidth isn't good, so if a proposal requires
more bandwidth (or computing power or whatever), then it should give
us something worthwhile.

I haven't been keeping close track on this thread, could somebody
post a summary (or point me to an existing summary) of what the
supposed benefits and penalties of this proposal are?

Scott Nelson <scott(_at_)spamwolf(_dot_)com>