Re: [Asrg] seeking comments on new RMX article

2003-05-06 12:14:32

JCL>   BoxA is compromised.
JCL>
JCL>   The zombie code sucks in a spamming engine (SE).
JCL>
JCL>   The SE determines the mail configuration of BoxA in terms of
JCL>   appropriate SMTP envelope etc from the registry.
JCL>
JCL>   BoxA spams away using the stolen credentials from its registry.

J.C.,

Thank you--you've raised a reasonable, cogent objection.

As you note, RMX would not help against this kind of attack, and frankly
neither would any other proposal I'm aware of.  If I can trick your machine
into thinking I'm you, then I can do bad things in your name and thus make
you look bad.

But right now, with SMTP the way it is, I don't even have to break into your
machine to accomplish that.  I can make you look bad with impunity just by
writing your name on the "From:" addresses of emails I send, and there's
nothing you can do about it, even if you are a good, careful sysadmin.

I submit that RMX gives a significant improvement, and it's just simple/easy
enough that people might start using it!

Mike