[Asrg] RMX and MUAs

2003-05-06 22:25:36
The RMX proposals that I've seen appear to be concerned solely with
forged MAIL FROM addresses (as described in RFC 821).  I believe that
most MUAs that are in widespread use only display From: headers (as
described in RFC 822), and the majority of end-users are not aware of
the existence of anything else.

If RMX use becomes widespread, spammers will likely avoid rejections
by adding RMX records for their own domains, using empty MAIL FROM
addresses, and using forged MAIL FROM addresses belonging to domains
that have not added RMX records.  I see nothing to prevent spammers
from continuing to use forged RFC 822 From: addresses, though.  In
light of this, how will an RMX implementation prevent spam or other
mail with forged (from most users' perspectives) addresses from being
just as rampant as is currently?