[Asrg] RE: Directing ASRG Activity

2003-05-07 07:46:01
Yakov,

I appreciate your feedback and your interest in contributing.

There are a number of work items being pursued and ideas that have been
proposed. However, overall it is difficult to identify the productive
conversations as a newcomer and also difficult to follow them from there.

I am very much aware of the guidelines in RFC 2014 and have been working
diligently towards them including "ensuring the research group process and
content management" as well as "moderating the research group email list".
Please view the history of messages that I have posted on the mailing list
and you will notice that I have set forth the work items of the ASRG and
sought volunteers for each of these items. Some are actively being pursued
while others are not. I also set forth a labeling technique to help people
follow the different threads. Some participants used it while others decided
not to comply. As far as flaming, in the past, I responded to such threads
to the list to stop the debate. Recently, I have been responding to the
involved parties off-list. Even in situations that are not flaming, but are
individuals continuing to pursue unproductive conversation such as Dave
Crocker's recent rants about RMX, I have held off-list conversations to move
those debates off of the list until they turn productive. Recently, I began
active moderation of certain participants using the mailing list software.
The list of participants that are moderated in this manner will increase.
Persons are not happy about being included on this list, however the
productivity of this list is more important than my popularity on this list.
The purpose of this group is to contribute to solving the spam problem. I
realize that not everyone on this list has that as a priority; therefore, I
will be more stringent in determining persons that are acting in a manner
contrary to this goal and eliminate the negative effect that they have on
this group.

One issue is that when people make clearly erroneous claims that are
unproductive, we, the productive members of this group, must refrain from
being pulled into that conversation. Once such a debate begins, it is
difficult to determine the victim.

Another thing that we will have going soon is an active website for the
group that contains all of the documents such as the list of work items,
inventory of problems, requirements, the taxonomy, and the set of solutions
that have been proposed. This will help everyone understand the status and
focus of the group especially newcomers.

This group has made progress thus far and this is just the beginning. Please
remember that this group is only two months old. We did not expect to have
the problem solved in two months. This group is not about pitching a random
set of proposals and claiming that the problem is solved. Please understand
from the charter that the phases of this group are: 1)understanding the
problem, 2)proposing and gathering solutions, and 3)evaluting those
solutions. We are positioned to have the most effect on the problem of any
previous effort. We should understand that our members include a set of the
largest ISPs, email server software providers, and virtually every anti-spam
solution provider. This as well as the relationships with spam legal
experts, email service providers, and anti-spam organizations creates a
unique ability to affect the problem and we will.

If anyone has any other ideas towards making this group as effective as
possible, please send them directly to me. Also, if anyone wishes to
volunteer to take a more active role in these activities such as summarizing
threads etc., let me know.

Regards,
Paul