RE: [Asrg] Let's start again at the beginning...

2003-05-07 15:24:21

On May 7, 2003 at 14:14 eric(_at_)infobro(_dot_)com (Eric D. Williams) wrote:
On Wednesday, May 07, 2003 1:32 PM, Barry Shein
[SMTP:bzs(_at_)world(_dot_)std(_dot_)com] wrote:
How much spam is actual commercial (even if low-quality) enterprise,
and how much is just script kiddies harasssing sites knowing that if
you call in law enforcement as soon as they see the words "penis
enlargement" they patronize you and explain what spam is and hang up?
And the script kiddies get to laugh their butts off. How might
anything we do here help distinguish between the two?

Maybe it's a typo but I am having trouble following you here.  In any event
it
may not be relevant to distinguish between the two (at the
technical/prevention
level) but development of a harassment criteria may be a worthy goal.

Your site gets flooded with spam relentlessly advertising the same one
thing. It goes on for days, even blocking is of limited value.

You notice there's a toll-free number in the spam to contact.

Out of curiosity you call the number and it can't possibly have
anything to do with the spam, maybe it doesn't even exist.

What do you suspect?

That there's something fishy about this spam attack.

Maybe they're harrassing the owner of the toll-free number, if it
exists. Or maybe they're just harrassing your network.

8<...>8
Did you know that a typical lifetime of a spammer's web site is under
two hours? How exactly do they do that?

Could you provide a pointer to the resource(s) where you gathered that
information?  I would like to incorporate this type of information into a
list
of informative references.

Go to the site for the MIT spam conference last January, I think it's
spamconference.org, and see if the attorney's talk, the one who was
involved in the Verizon/Ralsky suit, is still up, he talked about
this, specifically.

--
        -Barry Shein

Software Tool & Die    | bzs(_at_)TheWorld(_dot_)com           |
http://www.TheWorld.com
The World              | Public Access Internet     | Since 1989     *oo*